Here are ten details you might not know about the Norse gods.
Sources: the Poetic and Prose Eddas and Dr Jackson Crawford.
10. Loki is the transgender son of the giantess Laufey.
9. Odin is an anxiety ridden figure obsessed with the impossible task of avoiding his doom at Ragnarok.
8. Balder is murdered by his blind brother Hodr and is the only man known to escape Hel’s underworld realm. He resurrects after Ragnarok.
7. Heimdall fathered the race of Man and its social classes by sleeping with women of different casts.
6. The Aesir created the race of the Dwarves from maggots squirming in the porto-being Ymir’s carcass.
5. The doors to Hel‘s sorrowful hall face the sunless north.
4. “Odin” literally translates as The Mad One. Mad, meaning both insane and angry.
3. The eye Odin lost to gain wisdom lays at the bottom of Mimir‘s well, fed by a muddy waterfall.
2. Freyja has a falcon skin that shape-shifts the wearer into a bird.
1. Loki is the only man known to transform into a woman and give birth. While in female form, he/she/they give(s) birth to a snake, a wolf cub, and a half-corpse baby girl. His children go on to become Jormungangr, the world serpent, Fenrir the wolf, and Hel, goddess of the underworld.
The Norse Gods are mortal. They live on because they eat Idunn’s enchanted, golden apples.